These rice krispies treats with M&Ms are so gooey, couldn't be easier, and have the perfect colorful crunch thanks to the M&Ms! If you've never made homemade rice krispies treats before, then you will love this simple recipe that has a fun candy addition and requires little hands-on preparation time.
Homemade rice krispies treats are one of those desserts where it is totally worth it to grab the ingredients and make them from scratch! If you've never made them before, fear not! They're super easy and only require 15 minutes of hands-on time. These rice krispies treats are a fairly basic recipe with the typical few ingredients, plus the addition of mini M&Ms! Not only do the M&Ms add some crunch to every bite, but they're also so fun and colorful if you're looking to mix up your next homemade batch.
I'm not sure about you, but while I love the occasional pack of M&Ms, sometimes we find them lying around (especially after Halloween!) and aren't quite sure what to do with all of them. If you've made your fair share of M&M cookies and are looking for another treat, then you'll love them in these crispy marshmallow squares! They're so easy to make and have the best gooey marshmallow texture.
If you're looking for another fun and sweet recipe idea, check out our Cinnamon Toast Crunch Donuts, or if you're looking for another dessert recipe perfect for a group, we definitely recommend our Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting!
Why You'll Love these Crispy Marshmallow Bars
- They're a fun way to use M&Ms! If you're looking for another dessert idea that incorporates M&Ms, this is the perfect use.
- They're a no-bake treat. While they do require a bit of preparation on the stove, they just set at room temperature so there is no need for you to turn on the oven.
- They're an easy last minute dessert! If you don't have a lot of time but need to make a sweet recipe great for sharing, these rice krispies treats can be prepared pretty quickly! They just require about an hour to set after that, and can just be left while you tackle anything else on your list!
Ingredients for the Rice Krispies Treats
These marshmallow treats have a very short ingredients list, and there's a good chance you likely have some of the items already.
- Butter - A stick of butter is melted down first prior to melting in the marshmallows.
- Mini marshmallows - I prefer to use mini marshmallows as I find they melt down a bit better. Also, once added to the pot, be sure to keep stirring as they will eventually really melt down and become a smooth marshmallow sauce.
- Vanilla extract - Just a bit to add some extra flavor!
- Salt - Subtly brings out a little more flavor also.
- Rice krispies cereal - Key ingredient here! One tip is to make sure you use a very large pot to stir in the cereal, as the quantity used ends up creating quite a lot of volume!
- Mini M&Ms - I love using mini M&Ms because they distribute so well throughout the rice krispies, but if you only have the regular sized ones on hand those will also work great!
Step by Step Instructions
These bars are very easy to make, and the preparation and cooking time only totals 15 minutes!
Step 1: Prepare the pan. Line a 9x13-inch pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray.
Step 2: Melt the butter and stir in the marshmallows. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat, then add the mini marshmallows. Stir and continue stirring until the marshmallows are completely melted. Add the vanilla extract and salt and stir to combine.
Step 3: Stir in the cereal. Remove from the heat and add the cereal. Use a wooden spoon to stir until the marshmallow is evenly distributed and all of the pieces of cereal are coated. Make sure to get any remaining marshmallow from the bottom of the pot. If your pot is too small, you can also transfer the mixture to a very large bowl to combine everything more easily.
Step 4: Stir in the M&Ms. Pour in the mini M&Ms and stir until they're just evenly combined, but try not to overmix as this will lead to the colors spreading (see note).
Step 5: Spread the mixture in the pan. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, and use a greased spatula to gently spread it evenly. Top with additional mini M&Ms if desired.
Step 6: Set then cut squares. Let sit at room temperature for roughly 1 hour, then remove from the pan and cut into 12 squares. Enjoy immediately for the best texture!
Tips for Making these M&M Rice Krispies Treats
- Once you add the marshmallows to the pot, continue stirring until they're very smooth. They won't look like they're melting down completely at first, but just keep stirring! This will help ensure the rice krispies treats are perfectly gooey in all bites.
- When adding in the M&Ms, I like to let the cereal and marshmallow mixture cool for a few minutes before adding them in so that the M&Ms don't melt and that their colors don't run as much.
- When spreading the marshmallow mixture in the prepared pan, try not to push down too hard on it. I like to make sure the mixture is spread to each edge, but if you press down too hard then they will be a little tougher and not as gooey.
Absolutely! I just like how the mini ones distribute nicely throughout the marshmallow mix, but regular size M&Ms work great too.
Yup, you're just going to have some nice and tall marshmallow squares (which could be a great thing!). I'd probably just recommend letting them set for a tiny bit longer.
I find an hour makes them easiest to cut, but if you don't mind them being extra gooey, you can attempt to cut them sooner! If you do this, just make sure they're no longer hot, and I'd recommend greasing the knife to help ensure it does not stick to the marshmallow while you're cutting the squares.
Storing and Freezing
These rice krispies treats are best right away but can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 3-4 days. If you're layering them in a container, you can separate the layers with a sheet of parchment paper.
I don't recommend freezing these rice krispies treats with M&Ms.
If you make this recipe we would absolutely love if you left a star review and/or comment! Also, make sure to tag us on Instagram @doublethespoonfuls so we can see what you create.
Rice Krispies Treats with M&Ms
- 1 stick butter
- 16 ounces mini marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1 cup mini M&Ms plus additional for topping
- Line a 9x13-inch pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat, then add the mini marshmallows. Stir and continue stirring until the marshmallows are completely melted. Add the vanilla extract and salt and stir to combine.1 stick butter, 16 ounces mini marshmallows, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Remove from the heat and add the cereal. Use a wooden spoon to stir until the marshmallow is evenly distributed and all of the pieces of cereal are coated. Make sure to get any remaining marshmallow from the bottom of the pot. If your pot is too small, you can also transfer the mixture to a very large bowl to combine everything more easily.8 cups rice krispies cereal
- Pour in the mini M&Ms and stir until they're just evenly combined, but try not to overmix as this will lead to the colors spreading (see note).1 cup mini M&Ms
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, and use a greased spatula to gently spread it evenly. Top with additional mini M&Ms if desired.
- Let sit at room temperature for roughly 1 hour, then remove from the pan and cut into 12 squares. Enjoy immediately for the best texture!