This brie grilled cheese is filled with a goat cheese spread and fresh strawberries, has honey and thyme, and is the perfect summer sandwich!
One of my favorite types of meals is the kind where every bite is the perfect combination of sweet, salty, crispy, and creamy! This brie grilled cheese is truly that. Between the summery strawberries, the pink peppercorn, the crispy sourdough, and the goat cheese spread, it tastes like a cheese board in every bite! If you also agree that brie and honey go hand in hand, then you will love the addition of honeycomb.
This recipe is also ready in just 25 minutes, making for the perfect warmer weather lunch or dinner. It's super easy, and is such a fun and different way to use brie in the summer! While we all love a good baked brie, this is the perfect option for the warmer months. Especially if you've gone strawberry picking and are looking for a delicious way to use some of them up!
If you're looking for another summer grilled cheese recipe, be sure to try our Havarti Grilled Cheese with Balsamic Peaches and Prosciutto, or if you're looking for another fun option check out our Bagel Grilled Cheese.
Why You'll Love this Brie Grilled Cheese
It's a great way to use summer produce. There is nothing like a summer strawberry, and this is such a fun, savory, recipe to incorporate them into!
The flavor combination is perfect! This grilled cheese is so satisfying because the flavors are perfectly sweet and salty, and the textures are balanced so well between the crispy sourdough and creamy cheeses.
It's a fun and different way to use brie. If you love a good baked brie with honey and berries in the winter, then you will love this summer sandwich. It incorporates those delicious ingredients into a quick warm weather meal.
Ingredients for this Grilled Cheese
This grilled cheese has a pretty short list of ingredients, and you might already have some of them on hand!
- Goat cheese - The goat cheese is used to make a spread that adds the perfect saltiness to pair with the creamy brie.
- Olive oil - A little olive oil helps to thin out the goat cheese to make it easily spreadable.
- Pink peppercorns - The addition of these adds a similar flavor as black pepper, with a milder fruitiness that goes so well with the other ingredients.
- Thyme - Pairs so well with the goat cheese and strawberries.
- Sourdough bread - The best for making a grilled cheese in our opinion!
- Brie - One of the stars of this recipe, and you don't even need to remove the rind, making it super easy to slice up for the sandwich.
- Honeycomb or honey - I love using honeycomb in this recipe to really make the honey flavor stand out with the brie and to add a little crunch, but regular honey also works great!
- Strawberries - The other star of this sandwich! If you're able to find in-season strawberries I definitely recommend using those as this grilled cheese is extra delicious with perfectly red and sweet strawberries.
- Butter - Just a little for adding to the pan to cook the grilled cheese.
See recipe card below for quantities.
Step by Step Instructions
This summery grilled cheese is ready in just 25 minutes, and requires very little prep time. You also will not need to turn on your oven, making this an ideal meal for the warmer months!
STEP 1: Prepare the goat cheese spread. In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, olive oil, salt, pink peppercorns (or black pepper), and thyme. Divide and spread the goat cheese on to 2 of the sourdough pieces.
STEP 2: Assemble the grilled cheeses. Top each piece of sourdough with 2 ounces of brie each, spread on honeycomb or drizzle on honey, then top with sliced strawberries. Sprinkle strawberries with additional pink peppercorn or thyme if desired. Top each with 2 ounces brie and top slices of sourdough.
STEP 3: Cook the grilled cheeses. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add grilled cheeses, pressing down lightly, and cook for 3-5 minutes until golden. Flip and continue cooking until cheese is melted and bottom piece is golden. Serve immediately, with additional honeycomb or honey if desired.
Tips for Making this Brie Grilled Cheese with Honey and Strawberries
- If they are available in your area and it's the right time of year, I definitely recommend finding the best strawberries you can! They are really the star of this sandwich. It will be delicious either way, but it's truly next level with perfectly sweet strawberries.
- The salt, pink peppercorns (or you could use black pepper), and thyme are key in the goat cheese spread. They add some necessary flavor components that the other ingredients don't have.
- Since brie is a bit thicker than if we were to use shredded cheese, if once the grilled cheese is flipped the brie isn't quite melted yet, you can turn down the heat in your skillet and cover it briefly until the brie starts to melt.
Do I need to use pink peppercorns if I don't have them or can't find them?
Nope, black pepper would also work great, we just love how the brightness and fruitiness of the pink peppercorns pairs so well with the strawberries.
If it's not strawberry season, what would be a good substitute?
If it's not strawberry season in your area, sliced green apple would also be so delicious with the brie and honeycomb!
What is a good side dish to have with this grilled cheese?
A simple arugula salad with olive oil and some pink peppercorns would pair so nicely with this slightly sweeter grilled cheese!
Storing and Freezing
This recipe is best served right away, and because of the sliced strawberries I don't recommend storing it in the fridge for more than a few hours. It can be reheated in the toaster oven or oven until the bread is crisp and the inside is warmed through and melted.
I don't recommend freezing this grilled cheese.
If you make this recipe we would absolutely love if you left a star review and/or comment! Also, make sure to tag us on Instagram @doublethespoonfuls so we can see what you create.
Brie Grilled Cheese with Honey and Strawberries
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- pink peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon thyme fresh, chopped, plus additional
- 4 pieces sourdough bread
- 8 ounces brie sliced, divided
- honeycomb or honey
- ½ cup strawberries thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, olive oil, salt, pink peppercorns (or black pepper), and thyme. Divide and spread the goat cheese on to 2 of the sourdough pieces.¼ cup goat cheese, 2 teaspoons olive oil, kosher salt, pink peppercorns, 1 teaspoon thyme, 4 pieces sourdough bread
- Top each piece of sourdough with 2 ounces of brie each, spread on honeycomb or drizzle on honey, then top with sliced strawberries. Sprinkle strawberries with additional pink peppercorn or thyme if desired. Top each with 2 ounces brie and top slices of sourdough.4 pieces sourdough bread, 8 ounces brie, honeycomb or honey, ½ cup strawberries
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add grilled cheeses, pressing down lightly, and cook for 3-5 minutes until golden. Flip and continue cooking until cheese is melted and bottom piece is golden. Serve immediately, with additional honeycomb or honey if desired.2 tablespoons butter