This provolone grilled cheese with mashed potatoes and bacon is easy, so satisfying, and the perfect use for some Thanksgiving leftovers! It's ready in 15 minutes start to finish, and is a cheesy and delicious fall sandwich.
If mashed potatoes are one of your favorite foods, then this grilled cheese sandwich absolutely needs to enter your leftovers rotation! Great for an after Thanksgiving sandwich option, this one is especially easy and quick. The flavor combinations are also the best, with the sharp provolone pairing perfectly with the creamy mashed potatoes.
If you've joined us on our grilled cheese journey, then you'll agree we now have one perfect for each season! This one is our fall favorite, and is the best warm comfort food during the cooler months. Plus this one has bacon, which obviously adds that little something extra to this satisfying sandwich.
If you need a drink idea to pair with this grilled cheese, we think our Apple Cider Slushie would be perfect, or if you're looking for another grilled cheese idea, we recommend trying out our Bagel Grilled Cheese!
Why You'll Love this Provolone Grilled Cheese
- It has the best flavor combo! Between the sharp provolone, the creamy mashed potatoes, and the scallions with a bite, this sandwich has the best combination of flavors.
- It's a great use for leftover mashed potatoes. While leftover mashed potatoes are obviously amazing on their own, if you're looking for a different option then this grilled cheese is a fun alternative.
- The grilled cheese is ready in just 15 minutes! If you're making this after Thanksgiving, then an easy 15 minute meal is the perfect option.
Ingredients for this Sandwich
This grilled cheese has a short ingredients list including the leftover mashed potatoes. If you don't have any leftover mashed potatoes but still want to make this, then you could totally make them, use some for this grilled cheese, then have the rest with dinner the next night!
- Sourdough bread - Our favorite bread for grilled cheese, but you can use another type if you prefer it.
- Provolone - The pre-sliced kind works best, but you can also cut thin slices off a block that roughly cover the size of your piece of bread.
- Mashed potatoes - Key in this recipe of course! Leftover mashed potatoes work great and you don't need too much.
- Bacon - Just a little to add some crunch and flavor. I like to make sure it's pretty crisp so that it stays that way once added to the grilled cheese.
- Scallions - Add a perfect bite which pairs so well with the mashed potatoes!
- Cheddar - Adds some extra cheesiness in addition to the provolone.
- Butter - Just a little in the pan makes this grilled cheese perfectly golden and crisp.
Step by Step Instructions
This grilled cheese is extremely easy, and only takes 15 minutes start to finish! Only 5 minutes of preparation time and 10 minutes of cook time make for the tastiest and most satisfying sandwich.
Step 1: Add provolone and mashed potatoes to a piece of sourdough. Top one of the slices of sourdough with one 1 ounce slice of provolone, then top with 2-3 tablespoons of leftover mashed potatoes, evenly smoothing them over the provolone.
Step 2: Layer on the rest of the ingredients. Top with 2 pieces of crumbled bacon, 1 teaspoon chopped scallions, ¼ cup cheddar, and some black pepper.
Step 3: Prepare other sandwich. Repeat with remaining sandwich.
Step 4: Cook the grilled cheeses. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add grilled cheeses, pressing down lightly, and cook for 3-5 minutes until golden. Flip and continue cooking until cheese is melted and bottom piece is golden. Serve immediately, with additional black pepper and scallions.
Tips for Making this Grilled Cheese
- When adding the mashed potatoes to the sandwich, you can add a good amount but be sure to spread it on evenly and thinly so that the sandwich isn't too thick.
- If you're going to substitute either of the cheeses, I'd recommend making sure one of them is sharp because the ingredients are otherwise pretty mild.
- When cooking the grilled cheese, make sure the skillet is hot enough to melt the cheese but not too hot that the bread burns. If your cheese isn't melted enough yet, you can always cover the pan once you flip the sandwiches to ensure the cheese melts completely without the bottom piece of bread burning.
I'd recommend making mashed potatoes that night, using some for this grilled cheese, then having the rest with dinner the following night!
I definitely recommend provolone as its sharpness pairs so well with the creamy mashed potatoes. The cheddar could definitely be substituted for another sharp cheese like parmesan though!
Onion soup is the most incredible pairing with this grilled cheese! We tried it and the flavors go so well together.
Storing and Freezing
This recipe is best served right away, but can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days and then reheated in the toaster oven or oven until the bread is crisp and the inside is warmed through and melted.
I don't recommend freezing this grilled cheese.
If you make this recipe we would absolutely love if you left a star review and/or comment! Also, make sure to tag us on Instagram @doublethespoonfuls so we can see what you create.
Provolone Grilled Cheese with Mashed Potatoes and Bacon
- 4 pieces sourdough bread
- 2 slices of provolone about 1 ounce each
- 4-6 tablespoons mashed potatoes leftover
- 4 pieces bacon cooked, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons scallions finely chopped
- ½ cup cheddar shredded
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
Top one of the slices of sourdough with one 1 ounce slice of provolone, then top with 2-3 tablespoons of leftover mashed potatoes, evenly smoothing them over the provolone.4 pieces sourdough bread, 2 slices of provolone, 4-6 tablespoons mashed potatoes
Top with 2 pieces of crumbled bacon, 1 teaspoon chopped scallions, ¼ cup cheddar, and some black pepper.4 pieces bacon, 2 teaspoons scallions, ½ cup cheddar, black pepper
- Repeat with remaining sandwich.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add grilled cheeses, pressing down lightly, and cook for 3-5 minutes until golden. Flip and continue cooking until cheese is melted and bottom piece is golden. Serve immediately, with additional black pepper and scallions.2 tablespoons butter