These garlic butter chicken wings are simple, super satisfying, and make for the most flavor filled appetizer! If you're looking for an easy chicken wing recipe, then you will love this quick and delicious appetizer with a short ingredients list.
Nothing says fall like football food, and these easy wings do not disappoint! Although they are quite simple, they are packed with flavor and might just become your new favorite chicken wing recipe. They are crispy wings tossed in a buttery, garlicky, herb sauce - what could be better!
If you love chicken wings like us but are looking for a variation from the classics like buffalo wings, then you must try this rich and comforting recipe. Although they're full of flavor, they're also milder than a lot of chicken wing recipes if you're looking to avoid anything too spicy. Having made lots of wings over the past game day seasons, we are 100% adding these to our rotation!
If you're looking for another fall appetizer to pair with these wings, be sure to try our Cheesy Soft Pretzels, or if you're looking for another garlic recipe, you'll be obsessed with our Garlic Chicken Parmesan Pasta.
Why You'll Love these Wings
- They have a simple ingredients list. If you're looking for an easy appetizer, this recipe has a relatively short and simple ingredients list, making it really quick to grab everything you need to make these wings.
- They're full of flavor without being spicy. While so many wing recipes include some type of heat, whether it be buffalo or a spicy dry rub, these ones are full of a rich flavor without being spicy!
- They're both perfectly crispy and saucy. They're first baked to a crispy perfection, then tossed in the buttery sauce, ensuring each bite is the perfect combination.
Ingredients for these Garlic Butter Chicken Wings
One of the best parts about this recipe is that these wings and their sauce have a very simple and short list of ingredients, many of which you may already have on hand!
- Chicken wings - I recommend 3 pounds for this recipe, and one of the most important steps is to make sure they are very dry before they're tossed with the spices and baked. Paper towels work great for this!
- Salt and pepper - It's key to include a good amount of both to ensure the chicken itself has lots of flavor.
- Garlic powder - Used to add some additional garlic flavor to the wings themselves in addition to the garlic in the butter sauce.
- Baking powder - Key to ensuring the wings turn out super crispy! Make sure to evenly toss the wings so that all sides of each are coated.
- Butter - The base of the sauce!
- Garlic - Also key for this recipe, I recommend mincing fresh garlic.
- Crushed red pepper - Adds a little spice but totally optional if you prefer to leave these wings on the milder side.
- Parsley - Adds a fresh herby flavor which pairs so well with the butter and garlic!
See recipe card below for quantities.
Step by Step Instructions
These wings are a very easy recipe which come together in under an hour. The sauce can be made very quickly while the wings are baking, so no additional preparation time is required.
Step 1: Preheat oven and prepare baking sheets. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet or two medium baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
Step 2: Dry wings. Pat chicken wings very dry with a paper towel then place them in a large bowl. Make sure to dry them before putting them in the bowl, not when they're already in the bowl.
Step 3: Combine and add spices. In a small bowl whisk together salt, pepper, garlic powder, and baking powder. Sprinkle the spices over the wings, then use your hands to evenly coat them.
Step 4: Bake wings. Lay them in an even layer on the baking sheet(s), making sure not to crowd them. Bake for 20 minutes, flip the wings, then continue cooking for 20-25 minutes until the wings are crispy and reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
Step 5: Make garlic butter. When the wings have about 5-10 minutes left, melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add garlic and crushed red pepper if using and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Stir in parsley and remove from heat.
Step 6: Finish wings. Remove wings from oven, add them to a clean large bowl, then top with the garlic butter, using tongs or a large spoon to toss well. Enjoy immediately.
Tips for Making these Wings
- The preparation of the wings prior to baking them is key to ensuring they bake perfectly! You'll want to dry them very well, toss them evenly with the spices and baking powder, and place them in an even layer on the baking sheet(s). Make sure not to crowd them on the baking sheets otherwise they will steam and not crisp up as much.
- When melting the butter, make sure not to cook it down too much. You want to ensure there is enough to liberally coat the wings once they're baked.
- Once the wings are baked, immediately toss them with the sauce while both components are still hot. They're definitely best enjoyed right away!
Absolutely! Grated parmesan would be a delicious addition which can be stirred into the garlic butter sauce along with the parsley.
I definitely think these wings are best served right away, but you could definitely bake the wings ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator, then heat them up, make the sauce, and toss when ready to serve. If made completely ahead of time they just won't be as saucy as if they were served right away.
If you're having them as a main meal, a side caesar or mesclun salad would be a great side. If you're serving these with other appetizers, then soft pretzels, jalapeño poppers, or nachos would all go great with the wings.
Storing and Freezing
While best served right away, if made in advance or if you have leftovers, the wings must be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. I recommend reheating them in the toaster oven or oven as opposed to the microwave.
Once baked and cooled, the wings can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
If you make this recipe we would absolutely love if you left a star review and/or comment! Also, make sure to tag us on Instagram @doublethespoonfuls so we can see what you create.
Garlic Butter Chicken Wings
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup butter
- 4-8 cloves garlic minced, (see note)
- crushed red pepper sprinkle, optional
- 2 tablespoons parsley very finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet or two medium baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Pat chicken wings very dry with a paper towel then place them in a large bowl. Make sure to dry them before putting them in the bowl, not when they're already in the bowl.3 pounds chicken wings
- In a small bowl whisk together salt, pepper, garlic powder, and baking powder. Sprinkle the spices over the wings, then use your hands to evenly coat them.1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Lay them in an even layer on the baking sheet(s), making sure not to crowd them. Bake for 20 minutes, flip the wings, then continue cooking for 20-25 minutes until the wings are crispy and reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
- When the wings have about 5-10 minutes left, melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add garlic and crushed red pepper if using and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Stir in parsley and remove from heat.½ cup butter, 4-8 cloves garlic, crushed red pepper, 2 tablespoons parsley
- Remove wings from oven, add them to a clean large bowl, then top with the garlic butter, using tongs or a large spoon to toss well. Enjoy immediately.